I finally realized that I have to change the way I teach because the way students think has changed.  It’s a little scary, but it’s also very exciting because more responsibility can be put on students for their own learning.  I might even be willing to exchange my books for Kindles if  “electronic dialogue” is actually possible and students can comment simultaneously on the same text.  I might actually get my more reluctant students to annotate as they read! 

As I read Steve Hargadon’s article the following ideass struck me:

• “age of the collaborator”
  • “collaborative scholarship”
  • “it’s the hallway discussions after the lecture where learning actually takes place”
  • electronic collaborative study”

As students take a more active role in their learning, I become more of a facilitator than an expert.  That’s kind of  a relief!  I

I am also realizing that we need to update our research methods because time now is spent not in finding information but in determiningwhich information is reliable and relevant. We need to use research tools such as Google Scholar and itunesU. 

I like the idea of using wiki sites for student-generated study guides.  I am wondering if you can have too much information.  If it’s overwhelming for me, is it overwhelming for students.  Are all the podcasts, blogs, and resources really helpful tools, or do you start focusing too much on technology and not enough on content and students?

Collaboration sounds good, but I still have reservations about the inundation of information.  How do we manage it all?